Child Safe Policy
This Child Safe Policy has been prepared by APS/SF/DM and affiliated companies to demonstrate our commitment to child safety and to promote the importance of ensuring a safe environment for the children in our care.
The safety of children is of fundamental importance to APS/SF/DM and affiliated companies. We have zero tolerance for all forms of child abuse.
Commitment to Child Safety
- We will report to the authorities where we are concerned about the safety, abuse or potential abuse of children in our care. We understand the importance of providing a safe, happy and fun environment for all children in our care and we aim to create an environment where children can learn, grow and thrive.
- We work together with the children we care for and their parents to provide a safe, inclusive and open environment.
- We listen to all suggestions and ideas that are raised by the children and parents who use our services. We have a transparent and confidential feedback system that enables children and parents to speak up about issues that are important to them.
- We respect all views and opinions and act to address concerns raised by children or their parents. We are committed to seeking to prevent all forms of child abuse and have implemented practices to identify and remove risks relating to the abuse of children in our care.
- We are committed to supporting and encouraging the cultural safety of Aboriginal children or children from culturally or linguistically diverse backgrounds.
- We are also committed to providing a safe and supportive environment for children with a disability.
- We uphold and educate parents and children on the Employment of Children, the Child Employment Act and Mandatory Code of Practice.
Our organisation’s values include:
- caring for others;
- welcoming children from all cultural backgrounds;
- acting in the best interests of children in our care;
- creating a sense of trust Our values underpin the work of APS/SF/DM and affiliated companies and our commitment to providing a safe environment for all children in our care.
- We aim to provide a caring environment that is welcoming, inclusive and allows all children to feel valued and safe.
- We encourage parents, children, staff, volunteers or others to speak out if they witness behaviour or practices which are inconsistent with these values.
- Our staff and volunteers: Our staff and volunteers are required to provide a safe environment for all children under their supervision, including by complying with this policy and our code of conduct regarding child safety.
- We encourage our staff and volunteers to attend regular training on this policy, our organisation’s values and child safety so that everyone who works with us understands that APS/SF/DM and affiliated companies takes child safety seriously.
- We aim to recruit staff and volunteers that are suitably skilled to work with children.
- We interview and conduct referee checks on all of our staff and volunteers before they start working with us. We conduct police checks and Working with Children checks on staff and volunteers who engage in child related work.
Our Code of Conduct:
- All of our staff and volunteers must abide by our Code of Conduct.
- The Code of Conduct sets out our organisation’s expectations for appropriate behaviour with children. We require all of our staff and volunteers to act in accordance with our Code of Conduct.
- A copy of our Code of Conduct can be found on our website.
- Risk management: APS/SF/DM and affiliated companies proactively manages risks and has a risk management framework and policies in place to identify, assess and mitigate risks to children in our care.
- Our risk management policies cover the management of risks, such as occupational health and safety risks and risks of child abuse to children. Reporting a safety complaint, allegation or concern Reporting a safety complaint, allegation or concern We take child safety very seriously.
- Anyone is able to raise a complaint, allegation or concern about our organisation’s child safety practices. We treat all complaints, allegations or concerns raised with our organisation very seriously and respectfully.
- Nominated staff members* have been trained to deal with allegations of abuse. If APS/SF/DM and affiliated companies receives an allegation of abuse, our trained staff will investigate that allegation thoroughly and in a professional manner.
- We are committed to ensuring that the appropriate authorities are notified where we are concerned about the safety, abuse or potential abuse of children. Review APS/SF/DM and affiliated companies regularly reviews our practices and procedures in relation to child safety.
- Where possible, we will involve children and their parents in these reviews and ensure that the review considers issues regarding Aboriginal children, children from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds and children with a disability.
- Where the review results in this policy being updated, we will make the updated policy available, including on our website. Contact us if you would like information about this policy, have any concerns or queries regarding child safety or to report a child safety complaint, allegation or concern, please contact our child safety officers.
The contact details for our child safety officers are set out below:
03 9078 1454